– FAME in Jet Instrument, SA5000-2 JF
IP 583; ASTM D7797 “Determination of the fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) content of aviation turbine fuel (AVTUR) with Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy – Rapid screening method”.
The Patented Fame In Jet Instrument (FIJI) offers you a rapid and easy check on parts per million (ppm or mg/kg) levels of FAME in aviation fuel using test method IP 583.
You can use the FIJI as
A Multi-Product version of FIJI is available to measure Distillate & Residual Fuels as well as Jet – SA5200-0
If you are
Methods: ASTM D1655, ASTM D7797, IP 583
Ease of use:
The instrument is extremely simple to use and fully automatic so you do not require specialist operator training
The system is self-cleaning so you do not require solvents. After each test, you simply replace the cartridge and the instrument is immediately ready for the next sample
Enhanced test throughput:
Tests require less than 50 ml of sample and typically take under 20 minutes
Results are presented in mg/kg units together
By comparison, current analytical tests can take many hours, require complex equipment and demand high skill levels
Precision and accuracy:
Using a unique sample preparation module the sample is pumped at a controlled flow rate though a proprietary disposable cartridge
The sample components are spectrally analyzed by the FTIR and a result is displayed in mg/kg and a graphical spectrum is also shown
Please note: Start up kit SA5001-0 is required for the initial operation
- Measures the presence of all FAME types C8 to C22
- Approved for co-processed fuels
- Analysis time 20 minutes
- 50 ml sample volume
- No hydrocarbon cleaning solvents required
- Laboratory and field instrument
- Suitable for untrained operators
- Patent Approved
|Measurement range:||10-150 ppm (mg/kg) FAME in Aviation Turbine Fuels|
|Test duration:||20 minutes|
|Sample size:||50 ml|
|Operating temperature range:||5 to 35°C maximum (80% RH)|
|Power:||50 W maximum|
|Voltage||100/250 V, 50/60 Hz|
|Size (HxWxD)||55 x 38 x 42 cm|
|Weight||Approx 20 kg|
|CCCN Code:||Tariff 90273000|
IP 583 IS APPROVED FOR DEF STAN 91-91 & ASTM D1655
FIJI now included in Jet Fuel Specifications
ASTM D1655, Defence Standard 91-91 and EI/JIG standard 1530 , the specifications for Aviation Turbine Fuels, AVTUR, Jet A, and Jet A-1, have been updated to allow the new 50mg/kg FAME limit and now include IP 583 and ASTM D7797.
CHANGES TO ASTM D1655
- Table 3 Incidental Materials has been updated and the level of FAME permitted in JET fuel has been increased from 5 mg/kg to 50mg/kg.
- An emergency release of 100 mg/kg is permitted when authorized by the airframe and engine manufacturers.
- Table 3 includes the FIJI Rapid Screening methods, IP 593 / ASTM D7797, as accepted test methods for the new 50mg/kg FAME level.
- The levels may increase to 100 mg/kg after two years, once the industry has been able to evaluate the field performance of fuels with higher FAME levels.
CHANGES TO DEF STAN 91-91
- Table 1 Incidental Materials will include a maximum of 50 mg/kg with an emergency release of 100 mg/kg.
- Table 2 includes the FIJI Rapid Screening methods, IP 593 / ASTM D7797, as accepted test methods for the new 50mg/kg level.
- From 2nd May 2015 FAME measurement will become a mandatory part of recertification which is conducted at the upstream supply terminals and prior to movement to airport.
- FAME tests are now mandated in DefStan 91-91.
CHANGES TO JOINT FUELLING SYSTEM CHECKLIST
Bulletin No.76 – Aviation Fuel Quality Requirements for Jointly Operated Systems (AFQRJOS) – has been issued with new guidance on specification changes and a revised Joint Fuelling System Checklist.
- The revised 50 mg/kg limit is effective 2nd May 2015
- FIJI Methods – IP 583 / ASTM D7797 are authorised tests in the Joint Fuels Checklist
- The FIJI method is the only analysis that can screen all FAME types
Spares and accessories for:
FIJI JF – FAME in Jet Instrument (SA5000-2)
|SA5001-0||FIJI IP 583 Starter Kit|
|SA5003-0||FIJI Box Low Lint Wipes (pack of 280)|
|SA5004-100||FIJI Beaker 50 ml (
|SA5005-100||FIJI IP 583 and ASTM D7797 Cartridge (pack of 100)|
|SA5015-0||FIJI IP 583 and ASTM D7797 Annual Service Kit|
Calibration, Verification and Training
|SA5020-0||FIJI Verification Material 30 ppm, 100 ml|
|SA5021-0||FIJI Verification Material 100 ppm, 100 ml|
|SA5025-0||FIJI IP 583 and ASTM D7797 Calibration Material Set|
Lazar Scientific is your reliable source for Fuel Cleanliness Testing Equipment.