The D86 method is the foundation of Orbis BV. More than 40 years of experience and development have resulted in PAMv2, the second generation of Orbis’ automatic distillation unit.
Its modern ease of use, the reliable high quality hard-& software components and especially its outstanding automatic performance are what makes PAMv2 the unique distillation unit it is in today’s market.
One of the innovations is the smart Volume Scan, which scans the entire length of the cilinder simultaneously and continuously. This enables PAMv2 to actually registrate the bottom of the meniscus and perform powerful and fast interactions on the heating system. Together with the in-depth customization options PAMv2 is capable of running even the most difficult samples succesfully within the method specifications.
PAMv2 will increase the repeatability and reliability of your distillation results, even with the most difficult samples!
Another innovation is the DistPad controlling software for iPad. Easy to use for low level operators and extremely customizable for experience users, PAMv2 is suitable for both high-output lab production and research purposes. And of course user rights can be protected with a password. Software updates can be downloaded for free in the Apple AppStore.
Methods: ASTM D86
Automatic Heater Control
One of the most important and critical parts in automatic distillation, but also the most difficult to accomplish, is the process of quickly and accurately controlling the heater. This requires the earliest recognition of change in the distillation speed. Unlike other instruments, PAMv2 is equipped with multiple parameter checkpoints that provide the earliest information about the distillation speed. These paramaters are put in a unique formula that dynamically calculates the right amount of power to be sent to the heater. The advantage of PAMv2’s unique heater control especially showcases at moments of quick speed and/or vapor temperature change:
- at the beginning of the distillation at IBP (Initial Boiling Point), the first 5 milliters, and with some samples also up to the first 10 or even 20 milliliters.
- at the end of the distillation, from 90 milliters until FBP (Final Boiling Point).
- with difficult “light” samples, blended samples like Gasoline E10 and E20, and other specially composed samples.
- Extremely precise, reliable and comparable test results
- Fast, easy & fully automatic operation, yet offers in-depth customization settings for experienced users
- High end, solid state hardware:
- Volume Scanner: reliable & accurate volume detection
- Condenser: Peltier cooled without fluids / moving parts
- Heater: low mass, low voltage, fast & agile interactions
- Safety: UV fire detector, fire extinghuisher (needs CO2 / N) and automatich heater shut-off in case of fire
- Free software includes extra’s such as:
- Making custom points (vol. at specific temp. & vice versa)
- Built-in reference database for quality control samples – Changing certain program parameters during distillation
- Password protected user accounts (various access levels)
- Multiple language support
Lazar Scientific is your reliable source for Distillation Testing Equipment.