NOACK S2 Volatility Test
Evaporation Loss | Phosphorous Volatility
The evaporation loss/volatility of engine oils is of particular importance to the automotive industry as it closely relates to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of the engine lubricant.
A measured quantity of sample is placed in an evaporation crucible and heated to 250°C for 1-hour while a constant flow of air, controlled at 20 mm H2O vacuum, is drawn over its surface to remove the resultant vapors. The loss in mass of the oil is determined by weighing before and after the test and calculating the percent loss.
The Noack S2 is the second generation of the Selby-Noack, which was originally developed in the mid-1990s and the first Noack tester to eliminate toxic Wood’s Metal sample heating and allow for collection of volatiles throughout the test.
Methods: ASTM D5800
- non-Wood’s Metal Sample Heating
- Calibration to lab environment using interchangeable Orifice Tubes – ‘tuneable’ to the atmospheric conditions of each lab.
- Design enhancements for improved test precision and ease-of-use for high sample workloads and robust day-to-day operation.
- Incorporates metal Reaction Vessel and Quick Connect Fittings for test efficiency and easy cleaning.
- Only Noack System to collect volatile products for further analysis of phosphorus, sulfur, and other elemental oil vapors.
- Used for Phosphorus Emission Index (PEI) and Sulfur Emission Index (SEI) related to phosphorus and sulfur emissions from the combustion chamber.
- Compact, all-in-one design with small footprint.
- Advanced Automated Software Option.
Dimensions: Bench-top: 55(w) x 40(d) x 33(h) cm (22 x 16 x 13 inches)
Weight: ~33.5 kg (74 lbs.)
Voltage: 120 VAC, 15 amp. max | 220-240 VAC, 8 amp. max.
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Heating Medium: Resistive Solid Metal Heating (non-Wood’s metal )
Vacuum Control: Automated Vacuum Control (± 0.1 cm of H2O) Built-in Vacuum Pump
Operating Parameters: Temperature: 250° (± 0.1°C), 65 gram sample volume, 20 mm Water Vacuum, 1 hour test duration (automatic shut-off w/audible alarm)
Output: Digital RS232 to printer (Analog available upon request)
Safety: Over-temperature cutoff Fuse & Indicator, Protective Heat Shield, CE Marked
Shipping Weight & Dimensions: ~60 kg (132 lbs.) Approximately ~86 x 60 x 83 cm (34 x 24 x 33 inches) Approximately
Noack S2® Volatility Test:
480000: 110 VAC, 50/60 Hz Power
480500: 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz Power
ASTM D5800, Procedure D:
480145: SN2 Threaded Cup/Lid Assembly
480114: Flex Outlet Tube Assembly
480130: Inclined Manometer Assembly
480133: Coalescing Filter Housing Assembly
480135: Quick Connect O-ring
480150: Leak Check Tube Assembly – RV
450145: System Leak Check Tube Assembly
500612: Thermocouple Assembly (Type J)
450110: Coalescing Filter Element
450135: O-ring – Coalescing Filter
460029: Vacuum Tubing – Tygon 1/4” ID
450138: Pump Filter Element
450136: O-Ring – Pump Filter
480026: Stir Bar – Cross Shaped
500019: Pipe Cleaners
550031: Gripper Gloves
950014: Exhaust Tubing
950539: Heat Resistant Stopper (High Temp Red)
950536: Cork Stopper
040045: VarClean© Cleaner (1.89 L/ Half Gallon)
040035: SNL-75 Reference Oil (1.89 L/ Half Gallon)
040038: SNA-130 Reference Oil (1.89 L/ Half Gallon)
040039: NCO-12 Reference Oil (1.89 L/ Half Gallon)