AFIDA – Advanced Fuel Ignition Delay Analyzer, SA6000-0
Generic Cetane Number Analysis
AFIDA is a revolutionary development providing fully automated determination of the Generic Cetane Number (G-CN) of diesel and diesel related fuels using test method IP 617.
The analyser uses a constant volume combustion chamber (CVCC) and incorporates a unique and patented high pressure injection system that generates fine fuel droplets similar to modern common rail injectors in most diesel engines.
An ultra robust temperature controlled piezo electric injector provides rapid switching and highly repeatable fuel metering, offering improved performance and consistency when compared with solenoid controlled injectors and pintle type nozzles.
The analyser provides very fast, efficient and calibrated G-CN determinations, tests are fully automated via an integral 36 position carousel and auto sampler.
Methods: IP 617
Direct correlation to ASTM D613 (ISO 5165) engine tests The traditional Cetane ‘CFR’ engine methods establish an ignition delay period for the test fuel which is referenced to a primary reference fuel scale.
Existing Constant Volume Combustion Chamber (CVCC) technology (including IQT and CD510 instruments) provide a Derived Cetane Number (DCN) result based on a historical averaged correlation equation applied to the ignition delay of the fuel sample.
The new generation AFIDA technology is a significant step forward as it uses the same Primary Reference Fuels as specified in the CFR Engine method to provide a calibrated cetane number measurement.
Standardisation: Industry stakeholders recognise the advantages of the AFIDA with CEN, ASTM and the Energy Institute forming new working groups to develop test methodology; IP 617 is already published as an approved test method. Inter-laboratory studies showed outstanding precision and excellent correlation when compared with samples with known Cetane Numbers. The coefficient of determination (R²) is 0.98. An investigation into carryover with 2-EHN Cetane Improver showed no effect.
- Excellent correlation to ASTM D613, EN ISO 5165 & DIN 51773
- Wide sample types – middle distillates, blend components, biodiesel, FAME, XTL, HVO, heating oil and Jet A1
- Suitable for use with Cetane improvers
- Integral 36 place carousel and auto sampler
- Calibrated with industry approved PRFs over the range 35 to 85 G-CN
- Fully automated measurement
- Small sample volume (approx 40 ml/analysis including flushing)
- Short analysis time of approximately 20 minutes per sample
- Precise and reproducible software controlled determination of G-CN
- Advanced electronically controlled high pressure fuel injection system with piezo electric injector
- Safe opertion – integral safety monitoring functions
- Results saved to PC or for download
- Stable calibration – fixed test conditions eliminates routine temperature tuning
- Low running costs, single gas supply for combustion air
- Uninterruptable power supply to maintain cooling in the event of power failure
|Chamber pressure||17.5 bar|
|Injection pressure||1000 bar|
|Compressed air||20.9 ± 0.5 % O2|
|Sample volume||approx. 40 ml for analysis and cleaning|
|Warm up time||approx. 45 min|
|Analysis time||approx. 20 min per sample|
|Size (HxWxD)||1300 mm x 800 mm x 600 mm|
|Weight||100 kg (excluding platform)|
Lazar Scientific is your reliable source for Fuel Cleanliness Testing Equipment.